During a Divorce Case
People who want to end their marriage or registered domestic partnership can ask the court to give them:
- a divorce (dissolution of marriage or dissolution of registered
- a legal separation (allows them to make separate decisions but not end the marriage or registered domestic partnership for good), or
- an annulment (an order that says the marriage or registered domestic partnership was not legal in the first place.)
In this section, you will learn more about:
You can also go to the sections that will give you information about:
At any time, you can:
- Read answers for Frequently Asked Questions about divorce.
- Read some general information about How Courts Work, click here.
- Watch some videos with general information about how California's court system works, click here.
- Watch some short videos with information on "Paperwork Basics" (forms), "Service of Process" and "Tips on Going to Court", click here.
- Look at online guides for parents, teens and children
Did this information help you? Tell us what you think.